Orthodontic treatment is a type of dental care that involves the use of braces, retainers, and other appliances to correct misaligned teeth and jaws. These treatments are designed to improve the appearance of the teeth and bite and prevent potential problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, and jaw pain.
Orthodontic treatment is often recommended for children and teenagers but can also benefit adults. The most common type of orthodontic treatment is traditional metal braces, but clear, invisible, and removable options are also available.
For instance, if you are done with the orthodontic treatment in Calgary, there will still be much work.
Let’s explore this further.
Use of retainer
Once your braces are removed, your orthodontist will give you a retainer. This is an essential piece of orthodontic aftercare that helps maintain the new position of your teeth. You may be given a fixed retainer, bonded, or removable retainer. Your orthodontist will advise you on how long you should wear the retainer and when it’s okay to stop wearing it.
Retainers are appliances worn after orthodontic treatment to help keep the teeth in their new, corrected positions. They are typically made of plastic or metal and are custom-made to fit the patient’s mouth.
Using a retainer is important as teeth tend to shift back to their original position over time, especially after the removal of braces.
Here are some tips on how to properly wear retainers after orthodontic treatment:
- Wear the retainer as directed by your orthodontist: Your orthodontist will give you specific instructions on how often to wear your retainer and for how long. It is important to follow these instructions to ensure that your teeth stay in their corrected positions.
- Start wearing the retainer slowly: If you have just had your braces removed, your mouth may be sore. Start by wearing the retainer for shorter periods and gradually increasing the time you wear it daily.
- Clean the retainer regularly: Retainers should be cleaned at least once daily using a toothbrush and toothpaste. It’s important to keep them clean to prevent bacteria and plaque buildup.
- Keep the retainer in a safe place: Retainers should be kept in a case when not in use to prevent them from getting lost or damaged.
- Be mindful of what you eat and drink: Certain foods and drinks can stain or damage retainers, so it’s best to avoid them.
It’s important to remember to brush and floss your teeth at least twice every day, even after your braces have been removed. Daily oral hygiene will help prevent plaque buildup and tooth decay and keep your teeth looking great. Flossing with braces can be difficult, so it’s important to floss regularly once the braces are off habitually.
There are some do’s and don’ts while wearing braces, and a must-do is to floss. Flossing with braces requires more effort and patience than flossing without braces, but it can be done with a floss threader. First, use a floss threader, a plastic tool to help thread the floss under your braces. Once the floss is through the wire, rub it up and down against the sides of each tooth, making sure to go under the gumline. Flossing is important at least once a day, but it’s better to floss after every meal or snack.
After the orthodontic treatment, it is also important to keep flossing to maintain the alignment of teeth and gums. It is essential to clean the area between the teeth and gums to prevent plaque build-up and tooth decay. Also, flossing helps to prevent the formation of periodontal pockets around the teeth, which are a sign of gum disease.
Using a water flosser or interdental brush after orthodontic treatment is also a good idea, as they can effectively clean hard-to-reach areas around the braces. Additionally, it’s important to maintain regular dental check-ups and cleanings to ensure that your teeth and gums stay healthy throughout the orthodontic treatment and after.
Consider dental crowns by Orthodontist
If you had tooth alignment issues before getting braces, consider getting dental crowns or veneers once your treatment is finished. This will help keep your newly aligned teeth in place and improve their aesthetic appearance. Your orthodontist can provide more information on these options if they are necessary for you.
Dental crowns are a common restorative dentistry used to repair and strengthen damaged or decayed teeth.
After orthodontic treatment, dental crowns can help maintain the teeth’ new position and protect them from future damage.
There are a few different ways that dental crowns can be used after orthodontic treatment:
- To protect teeth that have been weakened by orthodontic treatment: The process of moving teeth with braces or other appliances can put a lot of stress on the teeth, which can cause them to become weakened or damaged. Dental crowns can be used to protect these teeth and prevent further damage.
- To improve the appearance of teeth: After orthodontic treatment, some people may still be unhappy with the appearance of their teeth. Dental crowns can improve the color, shape, and alignment of the teeth, giving a more attractive smile.
- To restore function and bite: Orthodontic treatment can also cause changes in the bite and jaw alignment, dental crowns can be used to restore proper bite and function of the teeth and jaws.
- To hold the teeth in place: After orthodontic treatment, it is important to keep the teeth in their new position. Dental crowns can hold the teeth in place and prevent them from shifting back to their original position.
Dental crowns are not always necessary after orthodontic treatment, but it depends on the individual’s needs and the condition of the teeth. A dentist or orthodontist could evaluate and recommend the best course of action.
Booking a dental treatment at The Port Dental in Calgary for Orthodontic treatments is a great choice for anyone wanting to improve the look of their smile.
With experienced and knowledgeable staff, top-of-the-line equipment, and the latest technology, you can rest assured that you will get the best possible results. With the variety of services available, you can find the perfect solution for your needs.
Book your slot here